Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Sin

A few weeks ago I was invited to join an online forum for spiritual writers. Because of who invited me I accepted the offer.

My first encounter with the group was a discussion, or I could say argument, about the homosexual issue. One side was defending all people to have the right to do as they pleased, and the other side spoke against the practice of same sex unions as sin. The statement that made me take note was that sin is what we ourselves decide to call sin.

I have tried my best to stay out of conversations such as these unless God nudges me or pushes hard for me to speak up for Him. At these times I want desperately to remember that God loves all sinners enough to go the full distance to bring them back into right relationship with Him.I want to lovingly speak the truth from God's word. I do not want to twist it, nor do I want to use it as a weapon for my own purposes. It is not an easy prospect.

My first thought was that sin is not determined by men (or women). It is against God first and affects people. Joseph, in Genesis 39:9, when Potiphar's wife approached him inappropriately, countered her by saying about his master, "He is not greater in this house than I am, nor has he kept back anything from me except yourself, because you are his wife. How then can I do this great wickedness and sin against God?" (ESV) It would seem the betrayal would be against Potiphar, but Joseph recognized that sin is against God.

We all know, deep down, what is right and what is wrong according to God. We often try to choose our own way, our own law to go by, but to do so is defiance against the Creator and Judge over us.

Sin. It is not ours to decide. Our legalization of any choices in which we want to engage, can never be okay as long as God says differently. From my understanding His word remains firm on sin. That is why He sent a Savior. We need Him!

Savior and Judge of all sin, You are Holy. You are Pure. You are Immutable. Forgive us our many sins, including those which we try to hide behind our legalizations. Thank You for making a way for us to be set free from the oppression of sin. Open our hearts to Your ways. Reveal the truth to us. Protect us from the deceiver and our own deceptive hearts. Free us!

No comments: