Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Too Much Stuff

For months now I have been going through my possessions and making decisions on what I need and what must go. It is not an easy task, especially for someone like me who keeps things for memories' sake. I have a lot of memories. Little trinkets that I have stashed away into little boxes take me back in time when I find them during my clean up times. The question I must ask myself is it necessary to keep the mementos in order to remember?



The past has given me many gifts. My life is a culmination of all those events that are remembered and even those that have been long forgotten. I am not convinced though, that I need all my stuff to make the memories live again. It seems to me that all of those memories do live in me here in the present. Each memory has made its mark on my life and that impression has molded me in some way. Even more important are the choices I made and continue to make because of what has happened to me.



Cleaning out all the stuff is a good thing. I'm not ready to get rid of it all but I am simplifying my life and my living space. I am making big changes and I am making a memory of my choice to live free from the things that hold me down and clutter my life. I think Jesus would like that. It is time to be the me I am today, not the me I was yesterday!



Lord of my every day, You are Eternal. You are present in my yesterdays, today, and tomorrows. It is You that must be remembered. I need to look for You in every day, but I so often look more at myself. Help me to turn my eyes to You and let You fill up all the places of my mind and heart. Thank you for the promise of Your presence. I need you!

No comments: