Thursday, February 23, 2012

Proverbs Seventeen

Proverbs 17:6 "Grandchildren are the crown of the aged, and the glory of children is their fathers."

Grandchildren become the crown in which grandparents regale. They are the entertainment and delight of those of us who have lived many years. We feast on each new accomplishment and proudly assert the special abilities to anyone who will listen.

I confess that I belong to an online group we call "Grannies in a Box." We brag over achievements, cry over hurts, and allow each other tirades for any and all opposition to our favorite people in the wole world: our Grands. I have been with the group for 12 years now. We understand one another. We wear the crown of our grandchildren proudly.

For example, I have five crowns that I display to the listening world whenever I can. Each one bears his or her own gems. No two are exactly alike. My Grandladies and Grandmen make me laugh, cry and cheer.

Though God is not a Grandparent, He must know what it is like, because He is one who listens, and tells stories and cheers us on every day. He is our Father, though, and He is our Glory. We look to Him for the best of everything.

Father, you are the glory and the lifter of my head. You shine in the darkness. You are there when I need you. You never fail to hear me. I fall short, Lord, in so many ways. I fail to honor those who have gone before me sometimes. It just seems so hard to take time for aging parents. Thank You for reminding me to reach out to them, listening to their stories even when they repeat again and again. Thank You for letting them be a part of my life. Teach me how to honor their lives and to love them.

No comments: