Thursday, April 18, 2013

Grandparenting

Grandparents go by many names: Nana, Poppop, Grandma, Grandpa, Granny, Pappy, many others and my favorite, Grommers. We may all have different monikers with our grandchildren but we are all enjoying the blessing of life as a grandparent.

Before my children gave me grandchildren, I heard stories of the amazing feeling that came with that gift. I believed these veterans of life's milestones, but truly had no idea until my first grandlady arrived in a flurry of excitement! What was this surprising wonder I felt? I still cannot describe it, but I do know it was and still is a grand feeling.

Stepping into the role of Grandparent brought new roles and new rules. It also brought new privileges and a new purpose. I stumbled through most of these and have had to learn many lessons about the new position I held. I hope to share some of my insights in the next few blogs. I hope you will follow me and enjoy the stuff that makes someone a Grand Parent!

One thing I am sure of is that my heart longs for the joy John spoke about in his third book and verse four: "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 4 (ESV)I always add "and grandchildren" though I believe that Johns' words are from God (and He has no grands). And, yes, He does have great joy when ALL His children walk in the truth.

Father, You have many children and no grandchildren, yet, it made You happy to give Your children the gift of being a part of future generations. You are wise and loving. You creatively draw us deeper into You through our relationships with our heritage and our children and their children. Forgive us when we run away from the responsibilities and only want the blessings of grandparenting. Thank You for growing our families and growing us when we are in the truth. Author of the Grand life, teach us our roles, rules, privileges and purpose through Your word. We are here to listen and learn.

No comments: