Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Saying No to Myself

I say "Yes" to myself many times during the day. It is easy to do because it comes naturally. In fact, I usually don't hear myself ask and then knowingly respond in the affirmative, I just do what I feel like doing at the time.

For example, if I have a craving for chocolate I will go seek out chocolate and enjoy the "Yes" I give myself. If I want to play a computer game, again, I will simply start the game and delight myself in the mindlessness of pushing candies together in sets of three or more. There are many other examples I could give, but I do think you get the idea.

The hard thing for me to do is to say "No" to my cravings, or addictions. Stopping the forward motion toward the chocolate, computer game or whatever takes a deliberate action; a decisive "No."

This past year I have had some success with this little two letter word. In fact I am thrilled when I say it and find power in doing so. It becomes even more recognizable when I backslide and fail to use the strength this often unused word gives me. Realizing that I failed to say "no" to myself makes me feel powerless. I regret that I did not use the two lettered dagger that would give me victory.

Mathew 5:37 says "Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil." (ESV) The truth I see in this scripture is first, I should mean what I say. "Yes" should not be my default answer to every choice. I should make choices with full knowledge of the consequences and benefits. Secondly, I need to remember that not choosing wisely is sin. If I need to justify my choices I step over a spiritual line that God does not commend.

I have written this blog entry with a craving for a soda wandering through my thoughts. In writing this I have decided that the sugar and caffeine are not what my body needs tonight, and so I say "No" with the power of choice. The greater choice I have made today is to say "Yes" to The Holy Spirit prompting me to become humble and let go of a previous choice.

2 Corinthians 1:20 "For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory." (ESV) Yes and no can both be difficult choices, but choosing Jesus is always the right choice.

Father, You are the God who has said "Yes" when I ask for mercy and grace. You say "Yes" when I need a Savior, healing, guidance, and hope. Forgive me for every time I think of You as a God of "No." Thank You for giving me choices. Thank You for giving me Your Son so I can choose His redemption. Thank You for not turning away from me when I sin. Thank You for Your forever open arms. Give me wisdom for my daily decisions. Amen.

No comments: