Monday, February 11, 2013

Heaven is a Good Place

Eight year old Paige and six year old Brooke were on an outing with Pappy one day when they passed a cemetery. There was a grave-side service happening, and the girls had many questions for their Pappy. When they got home I was told about the conversation. It went something like this.

"Pappy, what is that?"

"It is a funeral, Paige."

"What is a funeral?"

"It is when someone dies and the family and friends get together to say good-bye."

"Oh. What happens to the person that died?"

"Well, if they are a Christian he or she goes to heaven when they die. Their body is buried here until God comes back to get it."

"What is heaven like?"

"It is a wonderful place. It is beautiful and happy. Nothing ever bad happens there! It is a good place."

When Paige came in to see me, she said to me, "Grommers,I don't want you to die, but if you do I am going to whisper to you that Heaven is a good place to go."

That story made me smile. I smile because Paige would think of such a sweet thing to say, and also that heaven IS a good place to go. It reminded me of the man who was crucified next to Jesus. Jesus nearing the end of His earthly life, must have whispered His words to the dying man. He said that He would be with Him in paradise. Maybe God smiled because He knew it was a good place to go, because Jesus would be there.

Creator of Heaven and Earth, You are Good! You created a special place for us to live. You are creating a place of beauty and glory and pure holiness for Your people to come to live with You forever. Sometimes the beauty of this earth overshadows the glory of You, and I ask You to forgive me for forgetting that You alone are worthy. Thank you for making heaven real. Thank You for giving sinful people a chance to come and live with You there. Reach out to those I love through Your workers, and show them Your everlasting love and grace. Bring them home to You when their time is done here on earth. Thank you.

No comments: