Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Proverbs 22

Proverbs 22:9 "Whoever has a bountiful eye will be blessed, for he shares his bread with the poor."

I grew up in a family of seven children. Dad worked hard in the steel mill, and he provided for us although we were not wealthy. There were times, however, that the mill would go on strike and we were barely scraping by. It never stopped my Mom and Dad from inviting a surprise guest to join us for meals. I am not proud of the fact that silently I hoped the guests would decline the invitation so we could have our share. I was angry when they accepted.

My selfishness centered in my myopic vision. I saw the less than abundant table for so many of us, and saw not enough for me. I was not concerned for my brothers and sisters, though I should have been. I was totally selfish and felt horrible that I was so.

It took many years for me to get my vision corrected. It happened slowly over time. I began to be thankful for what I did have instead of seeing how little I had. Thanksgiving was my corrective lens that gave me a clearer picture of my blessings. I received blessings so that I could bless others! Sharing is a greater blessing besides!

I can be honest in saying that I still sometimes hold back out of selfish fear that I won't have what I need, or is it want? I have learned that I am changing and my failures can be forgiven. I only need to keep my thanksgiving lenses on everyday and all day to make a difference in my blessings.

Father, You are generous and giving even when it hurts. You are wise to command that we give. My life has not always seen or followed Your wisdom. Forgive me! Thank You for blessing me with the tools to learn this lesson. Thank You for teaching me to give thanks for the big and small, for the easy and for the very difficult things that come into my life. It is thanksgiving to You that helps me trust You. Keep working on my heart, o Lord. Remind me to be thankful especially when I don't feel grateful.

No comments: