Saturday, March 12, 2011

Bible Study

Bible Study on Saturday mornings starts early. By early I mean 7:00 a.m. Yes, I get up every Saturday morning to study the word with some incredible women. I didn't always enjoy getting up early for a time of study. I am not a morning person. Mornings, for me, should be quiet and never in a hurry to get out the door. Especially on Saturdays!

It has been a surprise for me to discover that I really enjoy this special meeting with God and friends. Though it is hard to roll out of bed and make myself somewhat presentable, I have come to find a slight spring in my step, and an eagerness in my heart to open the bible and learn from each woman what God has shown her throughout the week. I believe the draw is in the adventure of finding treasure hidden behind each word and in each precious heart.

When the alarm goes off and I finally put my feet to the floor, I begin to think of the passage designated for that days' study. I review in my mind the revelations God has given me throughout the week. I am in awe. Then, I walk out the door into the morning air to be amazed at Gods' glorious creation. Lately the morning is crisp and the sky is just beginning to brighten with the sun. Next week I will see the stars still twinkling with one last effort to make their presence known before the sun reigns over the day. I am awed again by the hand of God which created this beauty and delight! I am full before I even walk in the door!

We begin with a simple prayer of praise and request for understanding. Then we listen to His story. Next, we tell how our story has been changed by His. Time sharing our hearts desires and concerns with each other and our Father closes our time together. We are fortified to not only face the world but to embrace our day with arms full of love, the first of which is given in hugs for one another. A simple start to the day filled with beauty and riches.

I have learned to receive Gods' message whatever time of day it might be sent. That is a lesson I learned from this mornings study of Luke 2:8-20 when the angels came to the shepherds to announce the birth of Christ. The shepherds were startled to receive the Good News in the dark of night. I might be surprised to hear Good News early on a Saturday morning. The truth is that Gods' news is always good no matter what time it is given!

Good News Maker and Giver, you have filled my heart with good things every Saturday morning that I meet You at Bible Study. Thank You for letting us sit in Your presence! Thank You for being faithful to show up every week! Forgive me, Lord, for the days I come with slow feet. Certainly You are worthy of my attendance with joy. Open my ears to hear Your Good News every day and at all times! I love to hear Your voice!

No comments: