Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent Begins

Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the Lenten season for Christians. It is a time of preparation for the celebration of the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. I am deeply moved when I focus on the passion of my Savior. I want to draw closer to Jesus in the coming weeks. To prepare, many give up some pleasure they enjoy frequently. Others set out to do something that gets them out of their comfort zones. For me, I enjoy a little bit of both.

When I think about giving up something I enjoy, I try to remember that Jesus gave up His heavenly home to come and be one of us. He did not hold onto His right to be God. He gave it all up so that He could take my place on the cross. Giving up my little guilty pleasure is really nothing compared to his sacrifice. Giving up something does not make me holy or give me salvation. Putting aside my enjoyments allows my mind to be free to sense God's presence as my ultimate pleasure.

Stepping out of my comfort zone is never easy. It, too, will not save me or make me holy. It serves to give me opportunity to be more Christ-like in my dealings with others. It makes me aware of others' struggles. It is then that I can understand what Jesus did to put Himself into my place.

Whatever I do or give up I want it to be lead of the Spirit of God. Through Him I can be sure that a change will be made in my heart.

Holy Spirit, fill me with Your wisdom. Take me to the place You want me to be. Lead me into the path that will draw me deeper into understanding the sacrifice of Jesus and the power of His resurrection in my life. Work in me to be alive in Christ. Thank You for being with me always.

No comments: