Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Don't Let Go

I collect handkerchiefs, children's books, and Christmas books and music. I keep little treasures like my Great Grandmothers' lace collars and refrigerator magnets that were bought on special trips with my husband. I like to collect friends too.

In preparation to sell our house, I have been going through allot of things that I have kept for sentimental reasons. Some things are easy to part with, but others will move along with me if the house ever gets sold. Some of the things that will travel with me are my old address books. They are a link to my long ago friendships. I may never use them again because they may have moved long ago, but their names will go with me.

Once someone is named as one of my friends, I never want to let go. I want to protect the memory of our friendship from the severing of time, distance and lack of contact. Childhood friends, long time friends or those who have stayed for only a short while, all hold a special place in my mind and heart. Names and faces of those who have connected with me are glued into my memory like a scrapbook filled with photographs, ticket stubs, and handwritten notes. Memories are little treasures reminding me of the love of my friend. I could never forget or throw a friendship away.

A few years ago I tried to write down every person that had touched my life. Even when I limited the list to just close friends, I found it to be a daunting task. Thinking about all the people over the years that have made an impression on me was overwhelming. I have been blessed!

There are some bittersweet memories, however, of friendships that could not go further. These friends took a different path far away from my chosen road. Still I cannot let go. It is so hard to say good-bye for good. I hold on to them in prayers and gentle thoughts of times past. Though we grow apart now, I hope to have a future with them again someday, like the few delightful reunions with long lost friends in recent years. Reunions remind me that finding anything that was once lost is worth a celebration!

Gentle Shepherd, Jesus, You celebrate every lost soul. You hold tight to those God has given to You. You may set us free , but You never let us go from Your heart and love. Thank You for remembering every name and face. Thank You for never letting go. Forgive us when we forget Your love. Forgive us for taking the path that leads far from You. Call to us and lead us back into Your loving arms. Find us when we are lost!


Friendship Gallery

Memories in the winding hallways
Of years gone past
Carry images of
People, places, and things
That will last forever
In my mind.

Faces and portraits of those whose
Impressions are so deep
In my heart,
Are fingerprints of friendships
That will forever
Touch my life.

Carolynn J. Scully
©1995

No comments: