Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Black History Month

February is Black History Month. I think it is amazing to remember that Black History is not just a history of slavery. It is rich in every area of life, just as is every color race and creed! I am happy to celebrate the contributions of my dark skinned brothers and sisters. I will pray for the healing of the wrongs done to them by slavery, but stand amazed that through it all they have given so much to our country.

In every trial we can draw from God's grace and strength to overcome the temptations to become victims. We have opportunities to change the world around us even in the middle of hard times. The question arises for us now. Will the oppression against our Christian faith, the struggles of economic uncertainties, and other trials spur us on to live better or become bitter?

Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
I will take joy in the God of my
salvation. Habakkuk 3:17-18

As for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15

Like the slaves of old who brought forth good fruit of their labors to make our lives better, I want to produce good fruit in good and bad times. My dark skinned brothers and sisters are an example for me to follow. They used their God given unique gifts to create the tools to do the tasks they were assigned. Their contributions throughout history serve us well. It is now my turn to make a meaningful contribution to the world.

Oh Creatively rich God, You have filled our world with diversity and treasures. We have often tried to trample down those we see as different. We have used others to make our way to the top. Forgive us, Lord! Thank You for revealing truth to us when we seek You and not our own superiority. Teach us to humble ourselves before You. May You be lifted high!

No comments: