Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hush

Shhh. Be still and listen!

By the way, how many voices do you need to hush before you come into the silence? I have quite a few. Music, TV, computer, grandchildren, children, spouse, and even those voices in my own head that are relentless in trying to gain my attention. It is a multi-level task to get them all silenced at the same time, but it is worth the effort.

What do you hear when you quiet yourself? You see, when I walk into the silence, it is then that I begin to hear the sounds of my Creator working in me, around me, and for me. It is His voice I need to hear. I must hear! It is His word that reveals myself and Himself. In the quiet I can hear clearly the only voice that is worthy to be treasured.

I love the words to a song long ago sung but never forgotten: "Speak ,Lord, I long (or love) to listen to your voice. See, Lord, here I am."

Hush, Let us listen to His voice.

Speak , Lord, I am listening!

2 comments:

Connie said...

Clarity and confusion; the latter I am convinced of the former I'm not clear on. As you have described there have been many things in my life I would have bet the farm on only to discover at a later date, I was wrong. How could this be I have asked myself, did I like Christian of John Bunyan fame step to the left or right of the path? Or as in Christians own experience have I heard fine sounding voices that, although they seemed correct at the time have not been. Or perhaps timing truly is a device of God. John Bunyan’s book Pilgrims Progress has been a source of inspiration to me that continues to remind me, it’s the process of the journey I am on that teaches me what my direction is. Although understanding frequently eludes me confidence in him maintains me.

I wrote this yesterday in response to The Older I Get”, but did not manage to post it as I got distracted. I was wandering through my wilted copy of The Pilgrim’s Progress reading the words of, Obstinate and Worldly Wiseman and many of his contemporaries and did not complete the post. Then this morning I opened your blog only to read “Shhh. Be still and listen”. I’m working on it.

Unknown said...

You always add so much and I appreciate your insight! blessings, Friend!