Thursday, August 27, 2009

Think

There is much we should think about, but we don't always stop to think. We just blunder our way through making decisions as if we were dealing cards. It is that absence of thought that causes us to cringe when we finally take a look at the hand we have dealt ourselves.

There is a time when we should act quickly with little thought, but I believe that even in those times thought has preceded our actions. If we have been thoughtful about the small decisions, we will be ready to take the chance on the big opportunities that come our way.

I am still working thoughtfully through some small decisions. Someday I hope to be ready to lay a good hand down and gather the pot into my own pocket. Till then I will keep thinking things through in conversations with God and others who walk in wisdom.

Wise God and Father, Thank You for supplying me with the tools to make decisions. You are always available to me when I call. You give me thought and Your word causes me to think rightly. Your thoughts are not my thoughts and Your ways are not my ways, but they are always right and good! You are the greatest thought I have every day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wrote in my serenity journal yesterday, “My mind and thinking are my most difficult areas to manage.” There are so many paths to choose from in life and so many voices and then there are the very real distractions of life. Making a conscience choice to be still and listen to God’s voice in the middle of any storm, small or large can be daunting. In Charles Swindoll’s devotional “Intimacy with the Almighty” he shares four ways in which we can reorder our lives. Currently I am working on “Simplicity” and I would just like to say there is nothing simple about it.

Your post on thinking is very much at the heart of de-cluttering life, determining what is important and valuable and what can be laid aside. Thinking and listening seem as though they should be natural yet in reality they take effort. Your post reminded me of a poem by V. Raymond Edman, I thought you might enjoy it, I have included it.

In every life
There’s a pause that is better than
onward rush,
Better than being or mightiest doing;
‘Tis the standing still at Sovereign will.

There’s a hush that is better
than ardent speech,
Better than sighing or wilderness crying
‘Tis the being still at Sovereign will.


The pause and the hush sing
a double song
In unison low and for all time long.
O human soul, God’s working plan
Goes on, nor needs the aid of man!
Stand still, and see!
Be still, and know!