Sunday, August 23, 2009

School Lessons

This may be the beginning of school, but it is not necessarily the beginning of learning. From the time of our conception our minds and our bodies have learned ideas, concepts, facts, feelings, and actions. It is the way of growth.

I always loved school. I was not an A student though I could have been. I loved school because I learned through instruction as well as my own daydreaming during school time.

Sitting at a desk for hours filling up papers is the established method that we think of when we envision learning. But what about sitting outside watching the path of a butterfly, or the learning we experience as we plant seed and tend it till it blossoms into a flower? What can we learn from work, or leisure, relationships, or loneliness? What might our experiences of celebrations or rituals teach us?

Learning is continuous, and yet there are special moments when learning is easier than others. It can be planned or unplanned, simple or complicated. In contemplating learning I am assured that it is a gift I am invited to embrace and enjoy to the fullest, or lay aside and miss some marvelous things in this world.

The question I have today on the eve of the beginning of a new school year is, what will I learn this year outside of the school room? At this time in my life I want to learn to love better, live more fully, and like who I am in the process. Seems like a tall order and a lot of work ahead. I'll need a good teacher.

All knowing Father, thank You for sending me the perfect teacher. Your life lessons are filled with love, wisdom and grace. I need You to present Your lesson plans to me daily and I commit myself to do the assignments as best I can. I someday want to hear that I passed and You are pleased.

1 comment:

Connie said...

Unlike you I don’t think I ever really loved school. I do have a love of learning but school didn’t seem to be the place where I thrived. I prefer, and always have an environment where the exchange of ideas are like sparks that ignite a fire of passion for learning and understanding. Perhaps my second grade teacher said it best when she relayed to my mother, “Connie stares out the window and appears to be on cloud nine all of the time.” My mother’s question was "how is it effecting her grades?" The answer “it doesn’t; however it’s a distraction to the class.” And so began my career as a distraction, particularly to the status quo, “because that’s the way it is” has never worked for me. I love daydreaming and asking all of those marvelously impertinent questions. One small caveat, not everyone appreciates impertinent questions.

As I read this morning God reminded me of the danger of becoming stale, of not moving and growing. I do not wish to have my flavor remain the same or my aroma be unchanged. On the other hand going into captivity or being poured into another jar sounds a little scary too.

"Moab has lived securely ever since it was young. It's people are like wine left to settle in a jar. They aren't poured from one jar to another. They haven't gone into captivity. That is why it's flavor has remained the same, and it's aroma hasn's changed.
Jer 48:11"

I have asked God this day to send spark igniting people into my life.