Sunday, January 22, 2012

Proverbs Eleven

Proverbs 11:2 When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.

Embarrassing moments turn up when I least expect them. They surprise my puffed up prideful heart and I trip over my inflated ego, landing on the "Look at me" smirk on my face. Oh, yes, when pride infiltrates my heart I can be sure there will be mud on my face soon after.

Last Friday I had gall bladder surgery. All surgeries require some humility. I must admit, I fought this. I don't like to be weak, or even seen as weak. To admit my need for surgery, need for help getting to the bathroom, or to not be able to fend for myself is a struggle for my pride. As I work my way to healing, I am finding the wisdom in humbling myself, allowing myself to be the object of other's concern. It even feels good.

Great and mighty God, You are so good to teach me by experience! You let me fall only when it is good for me to learn the truth by looking up. Thank You for being the wise example of humility. Thank You for picking me up when I do fall! Remind me of my prideful lessons so that I will avoid them in the future!

No comments: