Monday, January 9, 2012

Proverbs One

"If you turn at my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit to you; I will make my words known to you." Proverbs 1:23 ESV

My Grandman, Jacob, likes to pull out all the books from my book shelves. I do not like to replace them over and over, and so, I watch him carefully when he sets his sights on the books. I call his name. I remind him not to pull out all the books. I tell him, "No!" When he turns and comes to me, I reward him with smiles and praises. I will choose a book and read to him. He is happy. Proverbs 1:23 gives me that same picture in relation to me and my heavenly Father.

Hearing His voice is an invitation to turn to Him so that I might receive His Spirit and understand His word. What a joyous gift it is! His voice. His Spirit. Understanding of His Word.

God offers me the choice. He gives and I receive. I receive by a simple action of turning. Turn away from darkness to the light. Turn. It seems simple, but so often I find it difficult. Temptation is strong. I want God's rewards to be stronger!

Father, You discipline Your children. You call out our wrongs and lovingly hold out to us Your gifts. Why do I run away from You? Why do I not turn to You when You call? Forgive me! Break my rebellious heart and teach me obedience. If I turn to You, will You let me hear You read to me and explain the words I want to know? Thank You for speaking out when I am tempted to sin. Thank You for being a good Father. Thank You for making me Your child!

No comments: