Saturday, January 14, 2012

Proverbs Six

Proverbs 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life.

In my town of Apopka, FL, we have several street lights that are patrolled by camera. The camera's eye will catch you if you run a red light, and you will receive a ticket with a hefty fine in the mail. It has proved to keep most drivers alert to the changing of the lights. I like to catch a glimpse of the countdown clock in the crosswalk to see if the light is soon to change. It helps me judge my chances of catching a green light.

The knowledge of which lights have cameras, and the tricks I use to judge the safe passage through the intersection are my lamp and light. Without the lamp I might not be alert and without the light I might not judge wisely. If I fail to heed the law and instruction I will be disciplined with a ticket. Life is lived on the road of discipline. My actions will determine my corrections or rewards.

It is my responsibility to guide my car along the road safely. I cannot ignore the commandments nor forget the teaching I have received. I need to plan ahead and keep alert. There is wisdom in the light!

Holy God, You are the giver of the law. You have put the commandments in place for our safety and the way to live a good life. I do mess up sometimes and speed along the road of life being distracted from what I should be doing. I am sorry. Please forgive me. Thank You for making discipline a part of life. It is a good thing. Though it may be uncomfortable for awhile, I know Your Father's heart is full of love and wisdom. Keep me on the right road, Lord!

No comments: