Sunday, January 15, 2012

Proverbs Seven

Proverbs 7:2 Keep my commandments and live; keep my teaching as the apple of your eye.

I have always loved the phrase "Apple of your eye." I knew that it meant someone who is loved and cherished, but never knew the origins of the phrase till I read this proverb and decided to look it up further.

It seems the phrase is first used in the Hebrew scriptures and is literally translated as "Little Man of the Eye." It is the reflection seen in another persons' pupils. The apple of our eye reflects on what we keep our focus.

The Teacher God and His teachings are worth being the apple of our eye. I find it amazing that those who keep God and His instruction in the center of their vision will reflect God back to others. People will see the truth of God not the world.

Tim Tebow is showing the sports community this principle. He has made it clear to all who look into his eyes, that he is keeping his eyes on the Lord. It is not easy, but it is good and right. He is teaching others that no other person, not even self, can hold the place of the apple of your eye.

God, my Father, You give life and teach me the way to live abundantly! Thank You! You alone should be the apple of my eye. You alone should be the center of my world. You alone should be the vision for my life. You alone should be my delight! Forgive me when I let my eye stray from Your face and Your teaching. Draw me back into Your truth. Be the apple of my eye!

No comments: