Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Calendars

I feel as if I am knee deep in calendars! I have purchased new calendars for different purposes. I have also been setting up a computerized calendar to remind me of important events. Making sure important appointments, and celebrations are listed on the right calendar and then making sure others will know what they need to know about my schedule is crazy right now! I hope once I get it organized things will go smoothly.

I bought one too many calendars this year. It happened on purpose because I like to have a pretty calendar in my bedroom. I had bought one from the Christian book store, but when I browsed another store I found a beautiful artistic one to replace it. I don't really want to get rid of the Christian bookstore calendar, filled with coupons as well as uplifting sayings, but I have no where to put it! So much for trying to simplify my life!

Our modern calendars can schedule us to the minute if we choose. In previous times the calendar revolved around the month and the yearly cycles. That seems very simple to me, but I do not live in a simple time.

God is not limited to a calendar. His time is always perfect. His day is like a 1000 years and His 1000 years is like a day. Even so, He is the one who gave us the phases of the moon and the chart of constellations in the sky. He is the author of our days, weeks, months and years. Could it be that He, being an eternal being without time constraints, has decreed that we, His creation, should live within these time boundaries until we finally go to live with Him in heaven?

I believe that children, though they fight against them, really want boundaries imposed on them. When they are fenced in they know they are safe from the dangers beyond. People know they are loved when they are not allowed to hurt themselves or others by their actions. Maybe our time constraints are Gods' fences to keep us within His safety. Isn't that what happened when He sent Adam and Eve out of the garden?

God did not want man to live forever with their sin. Removing the access to the Tree of Life and setting them outside into the world God let time, seasons and eventually calendars limit sins' expansion. Time limits are another expression of Gods' love.

Eternal Father, You are timeless! Thank You for taking time to save us from our sins. Thank You for entering into our time and being present with us. You are beyond time. You never count our days in impatience. You gently wait for the perfect time to reveal Yourself to us! I see Your hand in the passing of seasons, in the movement of time through my life. You are my timeless Timekeeper! Thank You!

No comments: