Sunday, November 9, 2008

Anti Abortion-Pro Choice?

Yesterday I had a conversation that was puzzling to me. The person I spoke with claimed that they were anti abortion, but also pro choice. I still have not understood how the two can be compatible, but here is the reasoning: They claim that abortion is murder, but every woman has a choice because it is her body to do with as she wants.

Yes, abortion is murder. It is the taking of a life. I believe that, and it seems I agree on this point with the one with whom I conversed. However, I do not agree that every woman has the right to commit murder if she does not want the baby in her womb.

I guess I should clarify that the conversation I had was with a person who claims to believe in God and follow His commands as written in the scriptures. In this regard we should be on the same page when deciding what is sin and what is not.

To hear this persons' viewpoint shocked me. This person went on to say that God had given us all free will and so every woman should be able to decide for herself what she wants for her body. I also agree that God has given us free will. He allows us the choice to follow Him or not. We are free to sin, but as a Christian I believe that purposefully embracing sin is tantamount to shaking a fist in Gods' face (even if it is my own choice to embrace a sin!). I also believe that God has defined what is sin, not man. It is Gods' parameters we must live within. I cannot decide for myself what is right or wrong.

Here are my thoughts: Just because a woman has a choice of what to do with her body, does not give her the right to choose for another human being (even an unborn baby). Her baby's body is not hers. She cannot choose death for that person. There was a choice that the woman made before the egg was fertilized. A woman who practices sex without regard to consequences (except in the case of rape or incest) should not be surprised that her body is found to be of use for someone other than herself. Her lack of self control in one area of her life should not reverse itself when she wants to control the situation in light of a pregnancy.

The bottom line to me is this: As Christians we must place Gods' will above our own. He has asked us to choose life and has commanded us to not murder. We cannot be against abortion and still be pro choice. "If we claim to have fellowship with Him yet walk in darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. " I John 1:8

I am sorry if my stand seems judgemental. I stand firm in making the choice to believe the truth of Gods' word and I will follow it. I believe that God is wholly good and only gives boundaries for our benefit. You have a choice. I cannot force you to believe as I do. In the same light you may not force me to change my mind. Our disagreement will change our relationship, but it will not change my love for you.

Can a changed relationship still be loving and peaceful? I will find out in the days ahead.

No comments: