Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Partisan Politics

Last weekend I had a talk with someone who is "on the other side of the aisle" from me in their views of political issues. Though I only was able to state that I did not agree with the policies of the newly elected president Obama I was confronted with an earful of accusations. I listened to the tirade and then made another benign statement, or so I thought. The conversation ended abruptly and certainly not on good terms.

Since having that talk I am not surprised that our congress cannot come to agreement on the issues and needs of the people. Even if some are willing to listen with respect to another point of view, there will always be those who demand their own way to be the only right course of action. Sessions of the legislature must be fraught with emotion. I can only envision it as an angry place.

Prayer for our leaders should awaken in us the need to hear the other side with respect. We should speak carefully without demanding the other person to agree without laying both sides on the table in a joint effort of seeking the best way to live peaceful, quiet lives in godliness and holiness.

There can be no law against love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control. Spirit of the Living God, fill us afresh and guide our leaders into a holy and godly unity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Carolynn,
I couldn't agree with you more! And it's not just on political issues pick any topic and someone will feel it's their duty to straighten you out. One wonders just how this position is aquired, perhaps it is bacterial and transmited from one person to another, as I have I found myself falling into that particular pit on occasion. I suspect that the need to "stop, think, then speak" could be a great source of calm and caring for a good number of us.
Thank you for your continuing contribution to "thinking."
Connie