Thursday, August 5, 2010

Face to Face

This morning as I drove to a doctor appointment, I listened to a talk show devoted to modesty. The arguments given about the state of immodesty in our country were not new to me. I kept listening hoping they would mention my own thoughts about "Modest" dressing. Though the show centered on dress for women I believe modesty is meant for both women and men.

The show host finally asked the question: "Where does relationship start?" From that he let it be known that it starts with the face. When we wear immodest clothing the eyes travel away from the face to other parts of the body. This was what I wanted to hear. Years ago I judged my children's' attire by looking and determining where my eye landed. I spoke to my daughters' often about wearing clothing that would draw they eye upwards to the face and their beautiful brown eyes. I mentioned this to my 10 year old granddaughter this past week too.

Too tight jeans, or pants hanging low so that the hand holds them up in a conspicuous place, or low cut blouses, or any distracting attire is not becoming, nor modest. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I pray the revival of our hearts will be seen in our dress. No, I don't think it necessary to remove slacks or bright colors from our wardrobe, nor do I think we need to wear our skirts around our ankles. Christians are given freedom in Christ and we are responsible to use it wisely!

Our choices should draw others to look into our eyes and see the joy and wonder of God! We should let our faces be transparent and reflect the light of Christ!

Are you wearing Christ? Are you framing His reflection with what you wear? He has earned the right to be the focus in our lives. Romans 12:1....present your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to Him!

Holy Father, You are worthy. You deserve my concern over how others see me. Teach me to be modest, humbling myself so that You might be glorified! Thank You for living in my heart and giving me a light to show others! I love You!

No comments: