Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fast of Forty Days

Lent begins tomorrow, Ash Wednesday. It is a traditional time of fasting by Christians the forty days before Easter. For me, it has traditionally been a time of abstinence from poor choices and a voluntary conscious choice to exchange my bad habits for something good. It is a time for me to place God's desire for my life as a priority. Since I struggle in the physical that is where my focus lands during this time.

This year I again choose exercise! As a writer I spend hours sitting before the computer or my notepad or journal. I am not athletic and prefer not to sweat! A few years ago I started an exercise program that I enjoyed, but increasing my level of activity caused me some foot problems that stopped me from proceeding and since then I have fallen back into my old habit of minimal exercise. The next forty days will change that (I hope).

Exercise can be a wonderful tool to help me reflect on Jesus' suffering. His body was fully human and He felt pain just as I do. In my exercise time I plan to memorize scriptures. If you have any suggestions please let me know!

Exercise in this regard becomes a fast from procrastination and laziness, unhealthy behavior and not caring about the body God gave as a gift!

Father, God, You know the struggle within me as I make these plans. You know my fears, doubts and my hopes and commitment to learn from You, and honor Your gift of LIFE and my physical body! I depend on You to lead me and help me through these forty days. It is only by Your power that I can reach my goal. Thank You for being my life coach and my trainer!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Carolynn,
I am on my own exercise road and am finding that I can do more than I thought I could. It's been both encouraging and uncomfortable, I hope the encouragement part continues and the uncomfortable part lets up!

On the other hand I am still fighting procrastination, In that regard I plan to buy a bulletin board to help me keep track of all of the things that seem to get lost in the everyday.

Lent is a wonderful time to consider all of these things but I need them to continue, and without God's help I am lost. Thus far he has put the most incredible people in my path to help me in my journey. I am reminded of Pilgrim from John Bunyan's book, "The Pilgrim's Progress." Pilgrim met a number of people along his path, some were helpful others not so much, but when Pilgrim drifted off the path God sent an emissary along to give him direction and help.

I am looking for God's emissary's to me, your blog encourages me to continue to look around me at all of the possibilities.
Thank you.