Sunday, February 21, 2010

Vision of Provision

Can you see all the robins in this picture? This is just a small part of the flock of robins that descended upon our back yard last Friday at twilight.

I had gone out to ask Patrick something and before I opened the back door I saw all the birds scattered over the yard. I quietly slipped out the door to get a better look. Patrick and I whispered to one another what an amazing sight this was!

We estimate that there were about 75 or more birds enjoying some kind of feast in our presence. The sweet rustling of leaves as they bobbed their heads to find seed or small insects became mood music for our added enjoyment.

We watched for a long time and later I was pleased to recall the scripture in Matthew 6:26, "Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them." (ESV)

I sensed that God, Himself, invited the birds to our back yard. It was as if He called to them saying, "Look! Here is a feast I am providing for you! Come, eat and enjoy!" As He provided for those beautiful creatures, He offered a vision to us of his abundant and timely provision. Are we listening to His call? Are we accepting His invitation? Are we going where He says to go?

Father, you have said that I am not to be anxious about my life because You take care of the birds and the flowers and I am more valuable then they. You showed me this vision of provision for a reason. You provide for me in all ways. You will always be enough for me! Thank You for the vision! May I never forget!

No comments: