Monday, June 8, 2009

The Big O

My memory verse right now is John 14:21. "Anyone who has my commands and obeys them loves Me. He who loves Me will be loved by My Father and I, too, will love him and show Myself to him." Did you catch the Big O word?

Obedience! This word conjures up images of disobedience or times when we have messed up, needed discipline, or were punished for a wrongdoing. Seldom do we look at obedience head on. Though we experience feelings of satisfaction, peace and joy when we obey, we will quickly forget and fall back into our selfish mindset that leads away from obedience.

Back to the verse. God says that if I obey Him it shows my love for Him. The Big O is my love given back to God.

Loving God, You loved me first, even before I ever thought of loving You. You are so Good and loving that to obey You shows my trust and complete surrender to You. That is Your picture of love. It is not hearts and flowers and love songs. It is the Big O. I confess that I struggle to obey sometimes. My love is not perfect, I fall short of loving You as You deserve. I do thank You, Lord, for loving me through my failures. Thank You for revealing Yourself to me so that I may want to obey.

No comments: