Thursday, June 18, 2009

Two Sides

Today I watched James Robinsons' program where he showed the children dying of starvation. As the show ended I flipped to another channel to watch the news. The program before the news was The Price is Right. I saw two sides of the same world within seconds of each other.

Luxury, abundance, greed and selfishness reign here on our side of the world. On the other side of the planet lives struggle in the severest poverty where the only thing they cling to or grasp for is life itself. What purpose do I have living here on the prosperous side of the earth? Could I learn to be a giver and not a taker? Could I make a difference in a child's life, providing life giving food to them?

The answer has to be "Yes." Yes, I can help, if I give up my selfish desires. Yes, I can help if I reduce the affluence I keep and offer food to the hungry from my storehouse of abundance.

Father, I have heard You say that when I feed the least of these I feed You. I seldom give as much as I am able to give. I hold back more than enough for myself. I am so sorry for my selfish greedy heart. I know it may take awhile to pry my fingers off of my things so that You can use them for Your children in need, but i want to get there Lord! I do not want to withhold anything from You.

No comments: