Monday, September 22, 2008

Autumn

I love autumn. Maybe it is because I was born this time of year, but I don't think that is all of it.

A single leaf floating to the ground, or piles of leaves waiting to be gathered into bags are delights to my eyes. I remember the time when leaves were burnt and not bagged. The smell of burning leaves is a signal that the holidays are approaching. The taste of apples, caramel, toasted marshmallows are autumns signature desserts. The crackle of dry leaves underfoot or the rustle of the leaves under the soft fingerings of the wind sings a melody of life getting ready for silence of a snow white winter. Why do I love autumn? Whatever it is that touches my senses it remains a mystery.

Autumns' mystery speaks to me of adventure, beauty, romance, and a harvest of growth. Even in my own life, I seem to sense a harvest of my years' labor as I approach the month of my birth.

Yes, I love autumn for reminding me to bring in the harvest of the seeds planted long ago. Each year the bounty becomes fuller and the cornucopia of my life's harvest overflows. I am blessed. I alone do not bring the harvest. My Lord is the Master of my garden!

No comments: