Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Happy New Year!

Rosh Hashanah. Happy New Year to my adoptive Jewish relatives. You may wonder why I say I have adoptive Jewish relatives. I have a Jewish brother in Jesus. I am adopted into His Jewish family and I enjoy learning about their traditions and celebrations.

It has always been around this time of year that I find my conversations with God to turn to the future. Maybe He is wishing me a happy year to come! Our family has traditions that center around Christmas and New Years. Christmas is the time we offer Jesus a gift. We usually make a commitment to change our lives to be more like Him. This is the prelude to our New Years goals.

September is when I begin asking my Heavenly Father and Jesus what I should give to them. In that regard my New Year begins. It is a subtle celebration of Rosh Hashanah. I also take a look back at the past year. It is a time to reflect on what I chose to give last year and how intently I pursued that choice. It is a beautiful time of my life. The falling away of the old habits and the trying on of new ones.

This year promises to be a year of growth. I know that growth often comes with pain, hardship and a need to persevere and so I will begin that process by submitting in obedience and keeping my eyes on His light and my ears attuned to His voice.

What will your New Year hold? You can plan to be held in the strong and safe arms of the Father. Set aside some time to ask. I am sure He is waiting for you to call!

No comments: