Saturday, February 28, 2009

Dying to Self ~ Living in God

This last week I wrote a poem about what was happening within me. Thinking about the process of dying in the natural helped me to maybe understand just a little of the process of dying to self.

There is a procession of organs that "shut down" in the body as it begins to die. Could it be that when we die to ourselves we also go through a procession shutting down our desires and cravings for the things of this world?

Here is my poem. Let me know what you think.

Dying to Self ~ Living in God

In foolish futility
I desperately grasp at
The waters of love
To keep as mine
All I treasure.

I labor to breathe in
The rhythm of the life I’ve made
As I want it.
Drowning in my self knowing,
Falling deeper into the well of me.

I press my heart to
Beat in time with my song,
My self energizing efforts supplying
A flood of little purpose.

I turn cold to this world
Its beauty
Its love
Its truth
Its comforts
Its pain
Its empty promises and false meaning.

i let go
i die to self,
i surrender my self .

You, Father, are the giver of life.
You hold life secure in Your hands.
You are the cup that spills over
Withholding nothing.

You are everlasting love
Pulsing faithfully
With a true and powerful purpose.

You are the breath of life abundant
Flowing in the rhythm of
cleansing and healing,
a refreshing fullness.

You are warm comfort,
Security, goodness and grace.
You wash away the chill of death.

You are perfect peace.


By Carolynn J. Scully
22 February 2009

No comments: