Friday, January 15, 2010

Significance

I love definitions. Today I looked up the word significance. It comes from the root word signify which means to make a sign.

Here is the definition from the American Dictionary of the English Language by Noah Webster 1828 (Yes, I like the old version!).

1. Meaning; import;that which is intended to be expressed.

2. Force; energy; power of impressing the mind.

3. Importance; moment; weight; consequence

Significance is a heavy duty word! To be significant is an amazing feat and surely only God can accomplish that in any life!

The meaning of our lives comes from our Creator. It is through Him that our lives express His significance! As our minds are impressed, or maybe you could say "renewed", by Christ we are filled with power and the force of the Holy Spirit that can make a difference in this world! We are important to God because of His great and awesome love He has for us! It is time to live a life full of significance, not for ourselves, but for the One who made us to be significant!

Father, I cannot live a life of significance without You! I realize that I can live a significant life without realizing it, and maybe that would be a good thing. If I were to focus on MY life as one filled with meaning I might miss that You are the only significant part of my life. Lord, I never want to forget Your grace that offers me the fullness of significance. Open my eyes to see You in every part of my life!

No comments: