Saturday, March 7, 2009

Family Ties

Families tie us up in knots sometimes! We are bound by our past mistakes or by the roles we play. Breaking those bonds takes time, patience, and consistency. Family ties can be knotted quickly, but so hard to release.

None of us enjoy being faced with the ties that hold us back from growing within our families. We want to be heard and known for who we are now, not the person we are imprisoned to be because of our past. The problem is that we cannot change someone else's mind. We can only be consistently different and hope they will see and hear enough to set us free.

On the other side of the coin I see myself imprisoning my family with judgements that span the years. I lock my loved ones up with titles of crazy, controlling, unforgiving, wild, baby, bossy, unfocused, etc. And then God said, "Do unto others as you would have them do to you." I must change if I am to be free. What would change for me if I looked for the good in others and set them free to be the best they can be? What would my walk with Christ look like if I opened up the prison doors and set my captive family free from my preconceived ideas of how they will react or think or believe?

Father, You are Freedom. You are the Open Door. You are Good. Change my heart and mind to reflect You. Work Your will in my family. You are the lifter of our heads!
Post a Comment