Friday, March 20, 2009

Selfish to Selfless

Selfishness and self-centeredness crowd into my best intentions. I am not proud of that and I work hard to keep those two under control. The question is how? How do you rein in a wild stallion or catch a sun ray in your hand? It is impossible without God.

If I try to capture my own selfish nature I will find it to be like a butterfly trying to catch itself in its own net. It can be done by accident but certainly will be a futile exercise. I do not want to be limited. Like the butterfly I want to be free to fly wherever I wish. I will flit about going my own way as long as I am able. I have only one way to change.

I must trust God that what He has planned for me is better than my own desires. I must believe in His goodness and let myself rest in His hands. This is nice to say and easy to dream about but my sinful selfish nature will fight every longing to go in this direction.

It is a battle I must strive to win in my mind. I must fight the self-centered demon that resides in me by keeping my thoughts on God and having the mind of Christ. Having the mind of Christ is to know who I am in Christ but never grasp for the position, honor or title. In humility I must know who I am and also who I am not! I am not God. I am not perfect. Without Him I can do nothing.

Jesus, Humble Servant and Living God, I accept Your example of selfless and God-centered living. You desire me to follow You and take on Your character becoming like You in all things. It is a battle, but You have already overcome the enemy. You can lead me and guide me in the changes I must make. You are good and I trust You to tame my selfish pleasures.

No comments: