Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Secrets

I just "whispered" a secret in an email to my family. I tucked it into the last line and even now I hope they do not make a big fuss about it.

I've kept the news to myself because my heart needed time to catch up. My heart is still tender about it, but I will be okay.

I am learning that I do not always need to tell everything to everyone, right away. Sometimes it is best for me that the secret is kept, but other times it is best for them. This time my secret may hurt their feelings a bit, because I didn't tell earlier, but I needed to hold on to the information for my heart comfort.

It all reminds me of one of my favorite poems.The poem is "Hold Fast Your Dreams " by Louise Driscoll. The first stanza goes like this:

Hold fast your dreams!
Within your heart
Keep one still and secret spot
Where dreams may go,
And sheltered so,
May thrive and grow
Where doubt and fear are not.
O keep a place apart,
Within your heart,
For little dreams to go!

My secret wasn't a dream, but it does have a dream wound around it. That dream still needs a secret place so I will keep it there until I must let it go.

No comments: