Thursday, October 23, 2008

Vertigo

The world is spinning! You may say that I am crazy to point out the obvious. Of course it spins on its axis. I am more alarmed that lately it seems as if every aspect of world politics is spinning faster and faster. But it isn't just politics, society's morals are also spinning out of control. Watching the news or even just watching any TV program will convince you that our lives are spinning in a frenzy of expectations, entertainments, educations, etc. When people tell us they are busy we can know it is true.

Yesterday morning I awoke and sat up in bed only to feel my head spinning so furiously that I was forced to lay back down. After a few minutes the bed slowed down to a manageable spin so I again sat up. I was able to get dressed all the while hanging on to something solid. Vertigo was back. Throughout my day I would be surprised by a sudden spinning of the room. It was unnerving and so I spent most of the day sitting and being extra careful when picking up my grandson or walking with him in my arms.

Just as when I experience vertigo, I tend to look for a safe place when the world spins violently around me, I look for something solid to hold on to. In all things I look to God. He has provided a sturdy and always present help in His Word. My crutch. I have something on which to lean.

I am reminded of the old hymn "Leaning On The Everlasting Arms." Its chorus says: Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms; Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

Okay, so I would prefer the spinning to stop. I would like it ever so much if I would never again wake up to the spinning in my head or the spinning of the worlds' activities. As I lean on Jesus and trust His Word I am assured that His promise of a perfect world and a perfect body will be mine someday.

Someday. Someday.

No comments: