Thursday, October 16, 2008

Smiles

I like smiles. I like them from the people I love and care about, but I also like to see smiles on the faces of strangers.

Smiles reveal to me that the person wearing that smile is enjoying a treasure or mysterious secret. Smiles invite us to respond with our own smile. We see the world differently through our smiles, even if it is forced.

When my grandchildren are having a grumpy day, I ask them to smile for me. They comply at first with a forced grin, but it soon turns into a real smile because I treasure their smiles and I am showing that I care about them. Of course I am smiling at them too. We make a sunny circle with our smiles that seems to stretch over our day if we shove the dark clouds away.

There are many days when I can start a smile revolution! Through the store aisles I smile and win over the other shoppers. I sprinkle the magic of smiles like Tinker Bells' fairy dust. Of course they can always brush it off and return to their cloudy day. Maybe for a moment my smile touched a happy place in their heart and brought it to life so it will rise again later. I hope so!

There is much in this dark, sad, gloomy world to smile about, especially if we really know Jesus. Life has many little surprises that sow the seeds of smiles. I think it is time we as Christians let them grow so we can draw the ones God loves so much back to Him!

What do you say? Shall we start a smile revolution today? It won't take long.

I remember a little Girl Scout Brownie song we used to sing.

There is something in my pocket.
It belongs across my face,
And I keep it very close at hand
In a most convenient place.
I'm sure you couldn't guess it
If you guessed a long long while.
So I'll take it out and I'll put it on.
It's a great big Brownie smile!

I like to change the "Brownie" to "Carolynn" or one of my grandchildrens' name when I sing it now. Try it! I think today might be a sunny day if we push the clouds away!

No comments: